Aroids can be sensitive plants, but they make a unique addition to your home. Whether you’re planning to add some potted peace lily or philodendron, plants in the Araceae family need the proper care to thrive. You may already know about their proclivity for indirect sunlight, but what about their nutritional needs?
The best fertilizer for Aroids will be rich in essential nutrients such as nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate. Extended-release formulas work excellently for these plants, and there are many options available for you to choose from.
If you’re looking to learn more about proper care for your Aroids, you’re in the right place! We’ll give you the details about the best fertilizer for Aroids and how you can help these common houseplants thrive.
What is the Best Fertilizer For Aroids?
The best fertilizer for Aroids will contain all of these plants’ vital nutrients to grow and thrive. Nitrogen, potassium, and phosphate are the three primary nutrients these plants need, so choosing a rich fertilizer is crucial.
Aroids respond best to fertilizers with a higher concentration of nitrogen than potassium and phosphates. The extra nitrogen will help them produce an abundance of large healthy leaves. You’ll always want to make sure the fertilizer you choose is high in micro-nutrients such as calcium and magnesium.
Some of the best fertilizers for Aroids are:
- EarthPods Premium Indoor Plant Food- This ingenious extended-release fertilizer comes in the form of capsules. The capsules contain all the macro and micro-nutrients that you aroids need to thrive and some helpful soil root fungi and soil humates. All you need to do is stick a capsule into the root zone and water your plant. The capsule will slowly break down and release the nutrients over a period of two weeks. You can use these capsules once every 14 to 21 days.
- Miracle-Gro Indoor Plant Food- Of course, no list of fertilizers would be complete without Miracle-Gro. This has quickly become one of the most popular fertilizers on the market, and for a good reason. It contains all the helpful nutrients your houseplants need and comes in a liquid form, so it’s easy to use. Most Aroids aren’t heavy feeders, so you may want to dilute this fertilizer with water before using it with your plants. Depending on the type of plant you’re growing and the year, you can use this fertilizer once a week or once a month.
- EasyPeasy Liquid Indoor Plant Food- This is another great fertilizer for Aroids with an appropriate amount of nitrogen, phosphate, and potassium included. There are also some micronutrients like sulfur in this plant fertilizer. It’s another liquid fertilizer and needs to be diluted and used during your normal watering regime. Make sure that you follow the instructions on diluting and using this fertilizer carefully. Otherwise, your plants could suffer from over-fertilizing and become damaged.
- Joyful Dirt Premium Concentrated All-Purpose Organic Plant Food- This is a great all-purpose organic fertilizer. It can be used for your Aroids, but it can also be used for your herbs, grass, and any other plants you have in your home or garden. It’s a very concentrated formula, so you’ll need to dilute it in water before using it. You can use this fertilizer monthly or every time you water your plants. Make sure you follow the directions closely because this is a strong fertilizer and needs to be diluted properly.
- Indoor Plant Food by Aquatic Arts- This fertilizer has been specifically formulated for potted plants, so it’s best used for Aroids that you’re keeping in pots. This is another fertilizer that needs to be diluted appropriately, and you can use it every time you water your plants. It’s rich in all the nutrients that your aroids need to thrive and can be used for other houseplants.
How Often Should I Water My Aroids?
Of course, fertilizer is just one piece of the puzzle for taking care of aroids. They also need the proper sunlight and water. Most gardeners that have taken care of aroids before know that they prefer indirect sunlight, but what about their water intake? Are you watering your aroids enough?
Depending on which plant you’re growing, aroids should be watered every 7-14 days. These plants don’t need to be watered too frequently and do better when their soil is allowed to dry out a little.
You can give your aroid some water whenever the soil gets a tad try. It’s best to water them until you see water beginning to drip out of the draining holes because this means that the soil has been thoroughly moistened.
This watering schedule works perfectly with some of the liquid fertilizers listed above since they’re recommended to be given when you water your plant. If you prefer to perform all your plant care in one go, then using a liquid fertilizer while watering your plant is probably the best practice for you.
Aroids are great plants to have around the home and in your garden, but they need consistent care. Finding the right fertilizer is simply a matter of finding one that has a regime that works for you and contains all the necessary nutrients that your plant needs to thrive. A liquid fertilizer that you can give your aroid while watering them is the easiest solution for you and your plant!
Hi there, my name is Allie and welcome to my blog; GareningWithAllie!
Much of what you see written here is just our personal experiences with gardening. Along with the content I write here, there is also a unique collection of gardening topics covered by some of our close friends. I hope you find everything you read here to be helpful, informative, and something that can make your gardening journey the most lovely experience ever! With that said, Happy Gardening!